Here in beautiful Whistler, British Columbia, resort property owners have dozens of Vacation Rental Managers to choose from when deciding to rent their Whistler investment properties.
So what are the most important things to consider when looking for a Whistler Property Manager? Choosing the correct manager can make a big difference in not only your rental revenues, but also the kind of people who rent your property and how it is maintained and cared for. Many new homeowners simply go with the property manager referred to by their Real Estate agent while others interview numerous management companies before making their decision. Whistler Property managers are all very different and careful consideration should be taken before signing a management contract.
Below is a homeowner guide of questions we feel every owner should ask before trusting a rental manager to care for their valued investment.
1) How long have you been in business?
2) Do you maintain a check-in office and meet guests personally at check-in?
3) How do you screen guests at arrival for group size and ages? What is the minimum age requirement for renters?
4) Do you take security deposits from guests? Do guests have to physically sign the credit card deposits?
5) What is your website address and how does it rank for keywords like, “Whistler Vacation Rentals”?
6) Are you a member of Tourism Whistler and the Whistler Chamber of Commerce?
7) What booking partnerships do you have? Do you work with Whistler Blackcomb, Whistler.com, Expedia, Booking.com?
8) Will my property be listed individually on your website with photos and it’s own landing page and calendar?
9) Does your website have online booking capabilities?
10) What sort of gross revenues can I expect in a year and can you provide a projection?
11) What is the management fee percentage and what is included within the management fee (Housekeeping, credit card fees)
12) How is maintenance handled? What things are included with the management fee and what things would be charged back to me?
13) Do you offer discounts on Cable/Internet/Phone packages?
14) Can other bills be handled through the property management company?
15) What is the availability of Management Company Staff? Office hours? After hours emergencies?
16) How and when are owner statements sent?
17) Do you do in-house cleaning or use third party cleaning companies?
18) What is the price for a homeowner clean and can I opt to do my own housekeeping after an owner stay?
19) What other bills should be anticipated? Deep Cleans? Linen Purchases, Maintenance program fees?
20) How many total properties does your company manage?
21) How many properties does your company manage in the complex where my unit is located?
Receiving answers to the questions above should help provide you with a lot background on the Whistler Rental Managers you are considering. The turnaround time you receive these answers in and your ability to call the management company and get an owner representative on the line, should also be taken into consideration.
Selecting a property manager is a tough decision and there are certainly a lot of options to choose from. We hope the 21 questions outlined above help set the course for a wise and informed decision and hopefully set you on the path to a long and beneficial business relationship.
If you have any questions or would like to speak to the Whistler Superior Properties homeowner manager, please visit our contact page.